Congratulations! You’re finished and ready to take on the next challenge in life.
We wish you the best, but before you go………….
Kuperwasser Lab Exiting Protocol
The following protocol is to be followed upon leaving the Kuperwasser Lab. Exiting lab members are asked to provide Charlotte with an approximate exit date a few months in advance. After all of the tasks below have been completed, the exiting lab member must meet with Charlotte to sign off on this form. If there are any questions about these procedures, please ask Charlotte.
Three weeks before you leave……..
Cell bank deposits:
- Contact Gene with a list of all cell types that you have used for unpublished as well as published work and/or may be used in future projects so that they can be deposited into the permanent cell bank and arrange for a deposit time.
- Ensure that you have 4-10 vials of each cell line to be deposited, with complete information for that vial (cell type, species, passage number, source/origin, freeze date, medium and handling information, etc.). If 4 vials are not available, expand and freeze down cells from the closest passage to that used in any work. Test one vial of each type for viability after thawing and mycoplasma.
- Clean out all remaining cells from the liquid nitrogen tank. If any cells need to be stored temporarily after your departure, send Ina a list of the location and nature of the vials left, and when they can be disposed of. Failure to submit this information will result in all leftover cells being disposed of upon your departure.
Clone bank deposits:
- Contact Gene with a list of all plasmids that you have used for unpublished as well as published work and/or may be used in future projects so that they can be deposited into the permanent clone bank and arrange for a deposit time.
- Ensure that you have at least 50µg of DNA in a vial and 2 vials of bacterial glycerol stocks of each plasmid to be deposited, with complete information for that vial (plasmid name, DNA concentration if appropriate, source/origin). Also, fill out the Plasmid Information Sheet for each plasmid.
One week before you leave………
- Backup raw and finished data to DVD’s using USB DVD burner and store with lab notebooks. Include the following.
- Document explaining organization of files on the DVDs.
- Electronic copy of thesis, papers and presentations.
- Raw supporting data for lab notebook and finished work. Upon your departure data on lab machines will be destroyed (imaging stations, Vicell, computer room machines, etc.).
- Any files that are too large for the DVD capacity (4GB) can be stored to external USB RAID hard drive.
The week you leave………
- Each of the following need to be completely organized so that it will be easy to clean out if we need to in the future: -20 freezer, -80 freezer, undercounter refrigerator, bench shelves, bench drawers, bench counter, cold room shelf, tissue culture shelf.
- Deposit all chemicals/abs that you “own” into the centralized locations (if they are not already there). Any items that are to remain with the lab should be updated in with the new location and owner information. Hazardous materials need to be red-tagged and placed in the fume hood, and a request for pick-up sent to EHS.
- If there are items that you would like to store in the lab, please provide Charlotte with a written inventory of the items to be stored, and how long they should be kept.
Desk space, notes, & data:
- Schedule a meeting with Charlotte to review all the notes and data that you plan to leave behind.
- Loose items must be neatly organized, hole-punched and placed into a 3-ring binder. All notebooks and binders must be labeled with your name. Please provide Charlotte lab notebooks, disks, etc.
- Disks must be labeled with your name and the contents of the disk (on the disk as well as the case). If possible, disks should be attached to lab notebooks.
- Desk shelves and drawers must be completely cleaned off. Personal items left behind will be tossed.
And last but not least…….. Please be sure to leave your forwarding information with Charlotte and Colleen so that you can be added to the alumni contact sheet!